Pacific Title & Art Studio was founded in Hollywood in 1919 by Warner Bros. animation artist, Leon Schlesinger, primarily to produce title cards for silent films. When silent movies gave way to talkies, Schlesinger’s company adapted along with the industry, and would remain the leading title art company in Hollywood for over 50 years. For many decades, title art was hand-painted on glass panels, and then superimposed or otherwise blended over still frames or moving images for credit sequences. The effect of the glass over the still or moving image created a depth and three-dimensionality that could not be achieved when the text was printed directly on the image. The affect was dramatic and impressive, worthy of the drama of the coming film or television program.
The panels would be stored until filming was complete (in case errors were found or changes were made), but upon completion of filming, the glass would be washed clean and then reused. As a result of this recycling, (and because they are fragile), very few remaining glass title panels are known to exist. All are considered rare and one-of-a-kind. Of the tens-of-thousands that would have been painted over the decades, only a few dozen originals are known to remain.